If $ is the bash terminal.

It seems like you might have just did (while in the case directory):

$ aim

However, if you see the WIEN2k 14.2 usersguide on page 134 in section "8.1.1 Execution" [ http://www.wien2k.at/reg_user/textbooks/usersguide.pdf ]. The command needs to be:

$ x aim

or

Real: $ aim aim.def
Complex: $ aimc aim.def

"x aim" should automatically create aim.def. Since you manually created aim.def, I assume that you are using "aim[c] aim.def". So check if the name of the file in the directory (aim.def) and command (aim aim.def) are consistent. In Linux, case sensitivity can be important. For example, aim.def (with lowercase letters) and AIM.DEF (with uppercase letters) are considered different.