It is well know that GGA+U calculations can end up in different states (see previous posts).

If you have used the same parameters, you should use the total energies of the two calculations and the one with lower energy should be the better one (but not necessarily the best !)

In any case, I always recommend:

First do a standard GGA calculation (also check forces, if they are small).
Then add SO and do a GGA+SO calculation (if you really have heavy elements?)
x lapwdm -up -so      to generate density matrices

and finally add the "U" and do   GGA+so+U

There is, however, no guarantee that you find the lowest energy ground state ! Sometimes it is good to start with a smaller U-value than anticipated. Sometimes you may do a structure relaxation at the GGA-level and use this structure,
or a structure relaxation at GGA+U (no SO).

If SO is not a major effect, I'd first do everything without SO.

From these advices you can see that there is not a unique and save way, which works in all cases.