Careful, what you said is not completely right, there is a basis although
it is more complete than a limited set of Gaussian functions.

The angular part (potential, wave function etc) is a truncated spherical
harmonic expansion. The radial part of the wavefunction in the spheres is a
rather complex expansion - best to read carefully the user guide & lectures
for exactly what Lapw, APW+lo are.

---
Professor Laurence Marks
Northwestern University