The NMATMAX you have defined in your param.inc is the maximum size for a non mpi parallel calculation. If you use MPI, then the NMATMAX will be automatically increased by sqrt(nmpi). So if you want to increase your matrix size, the best way is to use mpi parallel execution. Simply increasing NMATMAX and recompiling lapw1 and then running it without mpi may lead to unrealistically high computational time. And yes, the NMATMAX is really limiting the effective the RKmax, as you need more matrix elements to represent a bigger basis set.

Best regards

Maciej Polak