The DOS is calculated up to a value for which we can guarantee that the DOS is correct and complete.

Of course, the DOS up to the highest band-maximum would be non-zero, but there is a chance that some (maybe a lot) of DOS is missing and a user would not notice this and "misintewrprete" this wrong DOS.

Now he can trust that the calculated DOS is ok, and if he needs higher DOS, he has to increase the emax in case.in1 and/or in case.int.

PS: You are probably using an older WIEN2k version, because now we use a "dynamical" Emax in case.in1, which takes the actual EF into account. But of course in cases of very steep bands above EF, the default in1 file may still be insufficient.

PPS: In your situation it could even be, that the scf calculation is "wrong", since you occupied the wrong bands ....