17.11.2016 16:47, pieper wrote:
One might (correctly) expect Cu with 11 electrons for
these bands to be a happy paramagnet: the spins of 10 e in the d-band
compensate, and the exchange for the one in the 4s is too small to
redistribute anything from there, 4s is spin balanced. Furthermore it
costs too much energy to increase the 4s population above half full, the
exchange gain in an unbalanced 4d is not sufficient.

I don't follow your discussion, but for the sake of accuracy, I want to comment that Cu atoms have magnetic moment in the Cu oxides.

Best regards
  Lyudmila Dobysheva
Phys.-Techn. Institute of Ural Br. of Russian Ac. of Sci.
426001 Izhevsk, ul.Kirova 132
RUSSIA