Emax seems converged. This is no issue.

Yes, from my point of view the "best" calculation should be to put 5p in core (+ .locre if necessary) and have the 6p RLO. It seems it has a rather large effect.

To check my results I would:

a) Calculate the qtl's with p-1/2 p3/2 splitting (x qtl -so) and check that within these bands there is significant character of p1/2 or p3/2. (Character-plot with band structure), which varies from Gamma-X explaining the importance of the p1/2 RLO.

b) Do a calculation without symmetry (P1) and calculate the bands in different "equivalent" directions of the BZ. I'd like to see that there is no symmetry-bug related to the RLOs.

c) I'd also would reconfirm, that after an scf calculation with SO but WITHOUT RLO, and just doing the bandstructure with and without RLO (non-selfconsistent) one gets more or less the same change (or is it an scf-effect ?). In addition, is the sum of eigenvalues (case.scf2) after lapw2 lower with RLO (check of variational principle).

In any case, looks interesting ....

What says experiment ???