The short answer is: It should be a fully-relaxed structure of GaN (wurtzite).

A longer answer is: One should think on how the polarization will manifest itself in experimental situation and select two structures (lambda_0) and (lambda_1) accordingly. If you are interested in group-III/N LED, the buffer is GaN (lambda_0). The quantum well is a (In,Ga)N solid solution (lambda_1), which is epitaxially strained on GaN. A difference in polarization between two structures will lead to an electric field withing the quantum well. So, in this case, it will be incorrect to ask a question: What is the spontaneous polarization of GaN? or What is the polarization of (In,Ga)N? What matters is the difference only.

I hope this will help.

Oleg

--
Oleg Rubel (PhD, PEng)