I don't know if the 2017 version of crystal (CRYSTAL17) [ http://www.crystal.unito.it/index.php ] works with XCrySDen.  You might need one of the older CRYSTAL-95/98/03/06 versions [ http://www.xcrysden.org/doc/crystal.html ].

If you have one of the older versions installed that works on your system, then try changing in XCrySDen 1.5.60 the line

set system(c95_crystal) /usr/local/bin/crystal

in ~/.xcrysden/custom-definitions to where you installed the crystal executable file.

If you don't have crystal installed on your system, then edit the custom-definitions file in a text editor (like gedit, nano, or vi):

gedit ~/.xcrysden/custom-definitions

and change "set system(c95_exist) 1" [ http://www.xcrysden.org/doc/custom.html ] instead to:

set system(c95_exist) 0