I want to calculate the energy for a Ni vacancy at a Ni/NiO interface,
comparing the energy for the vacancy in the Ni layer at the interface to
the vacancy in the NiO layer at the interface. The interface structure is a
bit of a pain, but under control.

However, the killer is that this requires adequate NiO, adequate Ni metal,
proper band alignment at the interface and adequate image potential from
the oxide in the metal (particularly the ions).

Use of PBEsol with -eece and 0.125 seems reasonable -- the smaller value
does not mess up the Ni magnetic moment. (PBE might also work.) However, I
don't believe the result I am getting. This might be a problem where RPA is
needed.

I am open to inspired ideas.

--
Professor Laurence Marks