lapwso should work for surface slabs.

Is it a magnetic system ??  Probably not.

My guess: these slabs get metallic and you used TETRA ??? The additionally degeneracy may cause problems. For a 2D system always use TEMP(S) and some smearing (conservative: 2 mRy; to get improved scf-convergence increase it (temporarily) to 10 mRy

For such large cells I'd start with a small Emax (NBAND) and after convergence recheck with a larger value (it depends what quantities do you want to calculate with SO).