Thank you for your reply, Prof.  Marks. I am afraid I didn't express myself
clearly. My question is how they get such a quantity like "meV/Ni". For
instance, in my experience, the energy of the system La4Ni3O8 in that paper
should be about -170000 Ry. Of course, this value is meaningful only when
you compare it with another energy, which means what makes sense is the
energy difference. Say we have another configuration with an energy -169999
Ry (under the same parameters). The energy difference is 1 Ry. This is
already clear to me, so why and more importantly, how they get energy
difference per Ni. Did they know the energy contribution of Ni to the total
energy? like -5000 Ry? This doesn't make sense to me. Or they just gave 1
Ry/3 (number of Ni), if so how to justify this action, after all, La and O
could also have contributions to the 1 Ry.

with regards,

Fan