If I remember correctly:   x lapw2 -qtl   gives only the diagonal qtls and thus telnes WITHOUT orientation dependency.

x qtl -telnes gives also cross-terms for orientation dependent ELNES.

PS: Yes, x qtl -tenes overwrites a previous case.qtl file from x lapw2 -qtl

I'm not sure, but maybe you need the weight files and the actual EF, which are produced in the lapw2 step (and you don't have them in your directory from a previous lapw2 step.... ?