On page 127 of the WIEN2k 19.1/19.2 UG [1] under section "7.6.2 Input" for case.inhf, I see:

gmax=6 can eventually represent a good compromise between computational time and accuracy.

If it were my calculation, I would start with using the gmax=6 in case.inhf following that advice and only later increase it for convergence testing.  Though, you can go with the higher accuracy and higher computational time associated with gmax=16 if you want (assuming your system is performing the calculation in a reasonable amount of time for you).

Regarding the "WARNING: gmax in case.in2 is maybe not large enough", if you want to remove that, I would follow what the statement says to gradually increase the gmax value in case.in2 or case.in2c until the message goes away.  For a SO calculation, it probably is usually case.in2c.  So if case.in2 did not do anything, then you could try the case.in2c if it exists.  I don't know the details of your calculation, so you would have to determine the correct file for your case yourself.  In the post at [2], the information there might help.

Regarding the use of 1 k-point (nx = ny = nx = 1) with hf, the advice in post [3] was to use a small but decent k-mesh.  I'm not aware of the reason(s) why if there are any issues with using 1 k-point for a hf calculation.  If some else in the list has experience with it (e.g., maybe one of the other mixers is better than the default for doing 1 k-point), maybe they will respond later about that.  Though, I would expect that you would need to make sure you are using mpi parallel [4] or serial and not k-point parallel for doing that.

Regarding "almost 12 hours", as hf calculations seems to be known to be computationally demanding, that may or may not be normal. In your standard output to the terminal on a personal desktop computer (or output log file typically on high performance computing cluster), the ETEST and CTEST (e.g., like that seen in the post at [5]) may be useful for roughly monitoring if the calculation is converging or diverging (oscillating).  For more precising monitoring, I think it might have been "Check-mixing" that could be ran in a terminal or job script as seen in the post at [6].

Regarding the hf.error* files, like with other error files (e.g., refer to post [7]) I think that would be the desired behavior for the error text to be put in their when the file is first created but cleaned up later once the task completed successfully.

[1] http://susi.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/reg_user/textbooks/usersguide.pdf
[2] https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg04411.html [3] https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg20901.html [4] https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg05595.html [5] https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg02833.html [6] https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg20445.html [7] https://www.mail-archive.com/wien@zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg05279.html