Dear Lukasz,
Wannier basis is pretty similar to TB basis, but they are not fully equivalent.
In Wannier basis Hamiltonian contributions from quite distant neighbors are
important, they are not automatically localized on atoms, have proper symmetry,
etc.
I recommend to check the following papers where proper TB is constructed from
the Wannier functions:
https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.92.085301
https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevMaterials.2.103805
https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.99.125117