If your WIEN2k cases are located somewhere under the /home directory, is this the directory you are seeing the space increase in?

If your looking at the space of the entire storage drive before and after the calculation, another possibility is the increase could be due to normal usage logging by the operating system.  So, if its the /var you are seeing increase after the calculation, it could potentially be due to that as log files could be stored there as seen for example at [1].

[1] https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/viewing-and-monitoring-log-files#2-log-files-locations

Kind Regards,

Gavin
WIEN2k user