>... WikiSym is changing is for the same reason.  People are
> not going to the conference!  I think the attendance has been below
> 100 for some time now.  That's not a sustainable number for the amount
> of work that goes into organizing a conference.

I would like to see an honest comparison of, for example, the reported
benefits of in-person conferences compared to their social and
economic costs. Meeting people in person is valuable, but I think it
happens more often than it needs to in most fields. Until people get
serious about organizing workflow around teleconferencing, huge and
expensive inefficiencies will persist. People love deductible junkets,
but where is the cost-benefit analysis?