+1 on Piotr's comments.

And very, very happy to hear about
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Ethically_researching_Wikipedia --
I think this is definitely the way to go: developing guidelines that we
*regularly point people to* when they have questions etc. And maybe
something that we as a group can work on in the coming months.

I'll reiterate my suggestions for goals here and add some of Piotr's and
others' comments:

1. developing ethical research guidelines for Wikipedia research
- by building on the WP:Ethically_researching_Wikipedia page and regularly
pointing people to it

2. finding ways of making responsible requests to the WMF for data that
they hold that might benefit research outside the WMF
- through an official process with guidelines from the WMF on response
times/ viable requests etc.

3. developing opportunities for researchers to collaborate and share what
they're doing with the wider research community
- reorganising the research hub and pointing to best case practices etc
(similar to the WP Global Education program, as Piotr suggests)
- actively recruiting WP researchers to join this list and visit the
research hub
- some other regular way of involving researchers such as inviting them to
showcase their work and have it recognised on the list, on the hub etc
- recognising outstanding research (through a prize perhaps as Aaron
suggested)

Looking forward to hearing Phoebe's suggestions!

Best,
Heather.

Heather Ford
Oxford Internet Institute <http://www.oii.ox.ac.uk> Doctoral Programme