Aileen makes a good point.

But seriously though, I'm confused about what just happened.  I think there
are two interesting ideas being proposed here.

One the examination of a theoretical argument -- that English Wikipedia is
a type of system that requires *adaptive capacity* in order to survive and
that a decline in its *adaptive capacity* has caused measurable declines in
fitness metrics.   This came paired with a call to action -- to ask "why
not?"

The other is an insightful feature request to include results from related
wikis when using Special:Search.  Given the availability of the search
API[1], the worst technical hurdles seem to have been circumvented.  If a
reasonable justification can be given[2], the search team might pick it
up.  Patch sets, of course, would be fastest.

1. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Search
2.
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=MediaWiki%20extensions&component=CirrusSearch

-Aaron