Oliver:

> Scott Hale and I have been working on a paper looking at global reach
> and how it tracks with internet access growth, in the context of
> editing, particularly looking at the mobile web. That, we should be
> done with by then; presenting it could be highly useful (Scott? ;p)

I see what you did there, Oliver :J
I believe the showcase in is two weeks (3rd Wednesday of the month), which
is a bit too tight to make sure everything is really checked and accurate.
I'm in Asia in April, but *we* could definitely present in May on the work,
which as Oliver said is correlating Wikipedia editor numbers with mobile
and broadband penetration data on a country level.

Dario:

> I wonder how many requests from US-based bots/automata we’re still failing
> to detect.

This reminds me that I would like to engage with the technical development
team on the idea of storing the application (i.e., oauth consumer id) for
each edit made through the API. Not all bots use the API, I guess, but I
would venture that many (maybe most) do and tracking them would then become
trivial. Tracking the applications used to make edits via the API would
also allow tracking of alternative editing interfaces (e.g., visual editor
uses the API and perhaps AutoWikiBrowser or others do as well.) I've never
proposed any technical enhancement requests for Mediawiki and so very much
welcome guidance.

Best wishes,
Scott