Hi there wiki-researchers,

We have 6 days left in Phase 1 of the Wikimedia Inspire campaign
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Inspire> and we've received
quite a few compelling research proposals. *When you have a moment this
week, please peruse these proposals and endorse/comment upon them. *I've
included a list of proposals below that seem to have gained some traction
and/or are reasonably detailed.

   - Expand Russian Wiktionary
   <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Expand_Russian_Wiktionary>

   - Debates on facts given in Inspire Campaign mass message

<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Debates_on_facts_given_in_Inspire_Campaign_mass_message>

   - Survey potential female editors to determine the most popular topics
   of interest

<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Survey_potential_female_editors_to_determine_most_popular_topics_of_interest>

   - References from Gender/Queer studies

<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/References_from_Gender/Queer_Studies>

   - Examination of Gender Biographies

<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Examination_of_gender_in_biographies>
   - Research gender affinity for different subjects on Wikipedia

<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Research_gender_affinity_for_different_subjects_on_Wikipedia>

   - Survey women who don't contribute

<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Survey_women_who_don%27t_contribute>
   - WIGI: Wikipedia Gender Index Tools

<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/WIGI:_Wikipedia_Gender_Index_Tools>
   - A Consciousness Raising Repository

<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/A_Consciousness_Raising_Repository>

*Any input or insight you can provide on these proposals will be valuable*:
you can ask questions to make them think, suggest methods, theories, or
refinements to their research questions, or point the proposers to relevant
literature.

For example, the proposal "Research gender affinity for different subjects
on Wikipedia
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Research_gender_affinity_for_different_subjects_on_Wikipedia>"
would probably benefit from a pointer to the WP:Clubhouse paper
<http://files.grouplens.org/papers/wp-gender-wikisym2011.pdf>, which
investigates that phenomenon within the scope of movie articles.

If you find a project particularly compelling, you can even join it as a
volunteer or (potential) grantee.

Like I said, any help is helpful! Although keep in mind that not every
proposer has the profound depth of research background that you do, My
Esteemed Colleagues. So please focus on providing constructive input and
assume good faith ;)

Full list of ideas that have been classified as "research" is here:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Inspire/Ideas_by_theme#Research_ideas

You can view all ideas at the main campaign page:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Inspire

Thank you in advance for your support! I'll update this list in a month or
so to let y'all know which of these projects will be going forward with WMF
support.

Best,
Jonathan
--