On 28 December 2015 at 10:03, Joe Corneli <holtzerman...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 28 2015, Oliver Keyes wrote:
>
>> My big question is how these pedagogic maps factor in the negatives of
>> peer production communities - harassment, toxicity - and route around
>> or solve for them.
>
> Hi Oliver,
>
> Thanks for the speedy and thought-provoking reply!
>
> The question above is a good one.  We did have a basic collection of
> "antipatterns", but didn't develop them in this paper, because thinking
> about antipatterns adds some complexity and we wanted to get the
> "positive" vision more firmly in mind first.  With that accomplished,
> I'd love to write a sequel sometime about "Antipatterns of Peeragogy"!

Cool! This makes sense and is one of the concerns I've heard about
including antipatterns and patterns together; that it leads to claims
of a work "lacking focus". I would argue (just for myself, and
editorial boards probably feel very very differently) that not
including antipatterns makes a design pattern or template of limited
applicability and so said editorial boards should be approving of it -
but that's, again, just for me ;p.

> Still, the current catalog should definitely help surface and do
> something about concerns.  The strategy would be something like: start
> with the Scrapbook pattern and existing critiques, develop a short list
> of criticisms into A specific project, and build a Roadmap that involves
> others in addressing the issue that was identified.
>
> A recent thread kicked off by Pine seems to be an example along those
> lines:
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wiki-research-l/2015-December/004927.html
>
>> I do wonder about the generalisability of some of the examples; in
>> particular while Wikiprojects are _ideally_ a good starting point for
>> a lot of newcomers I don't have the data to hand about whether, in
>> practice, it is the starting point for a large proportion of users,
>> and I don't see citations to that effect in your paper (although I do
>> see the claim).  It would be good if someone more informed about this
>> particular question than I could chip in with what they've
>> measured/observed in detail (I know some people have been studying
>> Wikiprojects specifically, particularly James Hare)
>
> I've been impressed with some of my own earlier common-sensical
> guesswork that turned out not to hold water, and accordingly have tried
> to be careful to cite or footnote the Wikimedia evidence, but indeed
> that is one of the intuitive claims that is ^[citation needed].  Even
> though there are "many" users involved with Wikiprojects, the population
> might be oldtimers rather than new users.  I'll look around a bit more,
> and/or adjust the claim to focus on current population of Wikiproject
> contributors rather than on the hypothesis that the projects are used
> for wiki onramping.

Yeah; from my own subjective experiences it's more oldtimers than
newtimers, but this may also be
common-sensical-but-not-holiding-water!
> Joe

Oliver Keyes