Kerry,

Did you really mean "not allow" here? IMO we (WMF, researchers,
Wikipedians) shouldn't be in the business of creating Yet Another Barrier
to newcomer contribution.

*Suggesting* that people avoid making their first edit to the article on
Donald Trump, etc.--sure, that's a good "teachable moment" and probably
helps shield newcomers from unnecessary confusion and hostility.

I also believe that we could make progress by *recommending *articles for
newcomers to edit based on some combination of 1) quality improvement
needed, 2) low likelihood that good faith edits will be immediately
reverted 3) topic is of general interest OR topic is likely to be of
interest to newcomer based on their stated preferences or their editing
history.

The data necessary to run a study like the one you're looking for is all
public and so I think a study like this could be done. But to my knowledge
no one has done it yet.

- Jonathan

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 4:42 AM, Andy Mabbett <a...@pigsonthewing.org.uk>
wrote:

> On 20 March 2018 at 11:40, Andy Mabbett <a...@pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > I can understand your reasoning, but consider who this would impact
> > things like [...]
>
> *how* this would impact...
>
> Apologies.
>
> --