Hi Everyone,

The next Research Showcase will be live-streamed this Wednesday, April 18,
2018 at 11:30 AM (PDT) 18:30 UTC.

YouTube stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1pa-pr6xis

As usual, you can join the conversation on IRC at #wikimedia-research. And,
you can watch our past research showcases here.
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Research/Showcase#Upcoming_Showcase>

The Critical Relationship of Volunteer Created Wikipedia Content to
Large-Scale Online CommunitiesBy *Nate TeBlunthuis*The extensive Wikipedia
literature has largely considered Wikipedia in isolation, outside of the
context of its broader Internet ecosystem. Very recent research has
demonstrated the significance of this limitation, identifying critical
relationships between Google and Wikipedia that are highly relevant to many
areas of Wikipedia-based research and practice. In this talk, I will
present a study which extends this recent research beyond search engines to
examine Wikipedia’s relationships with large-scale online communities,
Stack Overflow and Reddit in particular. I will discuss evidence of
consequential, albeit unidirectional relationships. Wikipedia provides
substantial value to both communities, with Wikipedia content increasing
visitation, engagement, and revenue, but we find little evidence that these
websites contribute to Wikipedia in return. Overall, these findings
highlight important connections between Wikipedia and its broader ecosystem
that should be considered by researchers studying Wikipedia. Overall, this
talk will emphasize the key role that volunteer-created Wikipedia content
plays in improving other websites, even contributing to revenue generation.

The Rise and Decline of an Open Collaboration System, a Closer LookBy *Nate
TeBlunthuis*Do patterns of growth and stabilization found in large peer
production systems such as Wikipedia occur in other communities? This study
assesses the generalizability of Halfaker etal.’s influential 2013 paper on
“The Rise and Decline of an Open Collaboration System.” We replicate its
tests of several theories related to newcomer retention and norm
entrenchment using a dataset of hundreds of active peer production wikis
from Wikia. We reproduce the subset of the findings from Halfaker and
colleagues that we are able to test, comparing both the estimated signs and
magnitudes of our models. Our results support the external validity of
Halfaker et al.’s claims that quality control systems may limit the growth
of peer production communities by deterring new contributors and that norms
tend to become entrenched over time.

Kindest regards,

Sarah R. Rodlund
Senior Project Coordinator-Product & Technology, Wikimedia Foundation | Hic
sunt leones
srodl...@wikimedia.org