on a slightly related note, I analyzed the cultural preferences for image,
references, links, word count etc. saturation in good and featured articles
on 8 wikis and found significant cultural variation:

http://crow.kozminski.edu.pl/papers/cultures%20of%20wikipedias.pdf

best,

dj

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 7:17 PM, Peter Meyer <econte...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Interesting topic!   Here is a useful analogy regarding the distribution
> of sizes.  There has been study of how big cities are within countries or
> worldwide, and there are recurring patterns of the scale of the largest to
> the second largest, and the second-largest to the third, and so forth.
>
> Without getting into this too deeply you might at least check if the size
> relations among Wikipedias are like those of cities, that is, if they have
> a similar-looking distribution.  If they do, the underlying forces and
> dynamics for city sizes might also apply to wikipediae or other sites.
>
> The math is described by Zipf’s law and/or Gibrat’s distribution.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zipf%27s_law <https://en.wikipedia.org/
> wiki/Zipf's_law>, and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibrat%27s_law <
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibrat's_law>.  The work by Xavier Gabaix,
> cited there, was my introduction to it.
>
> Like the choice of what city to move to, the relevant Wikipedias for a
> user will usually need to be “close” — geographically for a city, or to the
> languages the user knows for a Wikipedia.  There are other factors driving
> a user’s choice, if we think of the user as choosing.  If the user wishes
> to study an obscure academic subject, they may have to use a large
> wikipedia, and that drives them to also participate there.  If the user is
> focused on a geographically local subject, that drives the choice.  A
> larger wikipedia is more useful than a small one, therefore the
> distribution of wikipedia sizes would be more unequal than the distribution
> of personal languages.
>
> It sounds like, based on Poland and Korea, you can show that Internet
> availability is not driving all the difference.  Good to know.  — peter
> meyer
>

> > On Jul 24, 2018, at 11:30 AM, James Salsman <jsals...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Why do you think different language Wikipedia's have different
> >> sizes, outside of the popularity of a given language?
> >
> > Piotr, if you model organic editing production with a Poisson
> > distribution, which is reasonable for a first approximation, 3x+
> > disparities are just natural for the same population sizes:
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisson_distribution
> >
> > I'm not sure the images in that article capture the wide platykurtosis
> > of large Poisson distributions.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Jim

<http://nerds.kozminski.edu.pl/> prof. dr hab. Dariusz Jemielniak
kierownik katedry MINDS (Management in Networked and Digital Societies)
Akademia Leona Koźmińskiego
http://NeRDS.kozminski.edu.pl  <http://nerds.kozminski.edu.pl/>

*Ostatnie artykuły:*

   - Dariusz Jemielniak, Maciej Wilamowski (2017)  Cultural Diversity of
   Quality of Information on Wikipedias
   <http://crow.kozminski.edu.pl/papers/cultures%20of%20wikipedias.pdf>
*Journal
   of the Association for Information Science and Technology* 68:  10.
    2460–2470.
   - Dariusz Jemielniak (2016)  Wikimedia Movement Governance: The Limits
   of A-Hierarchical Organization
   <http://www.crow.kozminski.edu.pl/papers/wikimedia_governance.pdf> *Journal
   of Organizational Change Management *29:  3.  361-378.
   - Dariusz Jemielniak, Eduard Aibar (2016)  Bridging the Gap Between
   Wikipedia and Academia
   <http://www.crow.kozminski.edu.pl/papers/bridging.pdf> *Journal of the
   Association for Information Science and Technology* 67:  7.  1773-1776.
   - Dariusz Jemielniak (2016)  Breaking the Glass Ceiling on Wikipedia
   <http://www.crow.kozminski.edu.pl/papers/glass-ceiling.pdf> *Feminist
   Review *113:  1.  103-108.
   - Tadeusz Chełkowski, Peter Gloor, Dariusz Jemielniak (2016)  Inequalities
   in Open Source Software Development: Analysis of Contributor’s Commits in
   Apache Software Foundation Projects

<http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/asset?id=10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0152976.PDF>
   , *PLoS ONE* 11:  4.  e0152976.