Hi Alessandro,

Usernames are unique across Wikimedia projects now; so, it is possible to
simply union/intersect the usernames from any projects to understand the
overlap. There are, however, as you have seen a huge number of users
although most are not active in any given month. One approach I have used
[1] is to monitor the recent changes feeds for multiple projects for a time
period and look at overlap within this data, but that obviously does not
speak to longer trends. For that, I would first define a suitable metric
(e.g., one or more edits per month [2] or 5 or more edits [3], etc.) to get
a list of active editors per project.

[1] Hale, S. A. (2014). Multilinguals and Wikipedia editing. In Proceedings
of the 6th Annual ACM Web Science Conference, WebSci ’14, ACM.
http://www.scotthale.net/pubs/?websci2014
[2]
https://stats.wikimedia.org/v2/#/en.wikipedia.org/contributing/editors/normal|line|2-Year~2016070100~2018080300|~total
[3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikistats_metrics/Editors

Best wishes,
Scott

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 2:52 PM Piscopo A. <a.pisc...@soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I would like to carry out a study about how users work across different
> projects in the Wikimedia ecosystem.
> I can’t find any dataset containing all usernames and user ids across all
> the projects, or at least those with a global account.
> I’ve tried with quarry, but the query to get all the data from it is too
> big and is not really a solution.
> Can anybody point me to some resource I can download and process myself,
> e.g. a global account user dataset, or the whole user database table that
> can be queried in quarry?
>
> Thanks,
>      Alessandro
>
> –––
> Alessandro Piscopo
> Web and Internet Science Group
> School of Electronics and Computer Science
> University of Southampton
> email: a.pisc...@soton.ac.uk<mailto:a.pisc...@soton.ac.uk>

Dr Scott A. Hale
http://scott.hale.us