https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=72130

--- Comment #4 from Quiddity <[email protected]> ---
It works the same way for All the logs. There should be a message explaining
that, above the text-fields. eg. at [[Special:Log]]...  

Oh, I see the message at [[mw:Special:Log]] is totally unclear, so I guess the
default (and therefor widely translated) message doesn't explain it. Gah! But
it needs to work for both mainspace pages and elsewhere
e.g. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ALog&hide_thanks_log=0&page=user%3AJohn
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ALog&hide_thanks_log=0&page=John

[rewrite #4, edit-conflict #3...] 
Ah, I now see the difference, when we use the drop-down selector for just the
"Thanks log". 
This is all related to bug 46494, which was originally about clarifying the
confusing documentation message, but was closed following a pointer to the code
that makes *user-specific-logs* automatically-add the "user:" prefix. Eg.
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ALog&type=thanks&user=&page=John
will automatically add "user:" prefix, as will core's "block", "newusers", and
"rights" logs, and possibly other extension logs using the code-hook.

Given that the code is trying to be helpful, and going back to the old way
would be equally confusing, I'd suggest that just updating the default
interface messages, would be best. 
I.e. Put the clearer explanation from Enwiki's [[MediaWiki:Alllogstext]] as the
default. 
Possibly altering [[MediaWiki:Log-description-thanks]] would also help?
(Sidenote: I've asked, and to change default English messages, we have to file
a bug here. English root messages don't get rewritten at translatewiki.)

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are the assignee for the bug.
You are on the CC list for the bug.
_______________________________________________
Wikibugs-l mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikibugs-l

Reply via email to