At 13:44 13/04/2012, Lydia Pintscher wrote:

I'll be doing weekly summaries of what's been happening around
Wikidata. This is the first one. The plan is to collect them and then
make a blog post out of them every month.

Lydia,
May be you could create and maintain http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata/Status_updates/ as a menu page for all the monthly reports? This way we could quote and use it as a single permanent URL for the Status Reports.
Thank you and best
jfc

PS. As you can see: the way you entered that mail made it readable (with LF between the lines)?

The wiki version of this can be found at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata/Status_updates/2012_04_13

= Development =
* drafted http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata/Data_model
* drafted http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata/Notes/API
* http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata/Development has useful infos
for setting up a dev environment (but you probably want to wait a bit
with that still until we've worked out some more quirks)
* finished first scrum cycle:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata/Development/Scrum_cycle_archive
** implemented the data grid view which basically is an overview page
for the data of one Wikidata item
** implemented basic functionality for editing some of the information
in data grid dynamically (item label and description) with a
JavaScript generated user interface
** lots of struggling with git
** created proper base for Wikibase and Wikibase Client extensions,
including things such as i18n files, settings files, and a skeleton
for the API
** created skeleton pages for the extensions on MediaWiki.org:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Wikibase and
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Wikibase_Client
** WikibaseClient extension has its basic functionality implemented.
Whenever a page is rendered, the extension loads the information about
interlanguage links from the repository, sorts the links, and displays
them.
** WikibaseClient extension also defines a new magic word/parser
function {{NOEXTERNALINTERLANG}}. It can disable fetching the links
from the repository completely (when used on its own as
{{NOEXTERNALINTERLANG}} or with asterisk as a parameter as
{{NOEXTERNALINTERLANG:*}}), or just remove the links for certain
languages (for example {{NOEXTERNALINTERLANG:de|fr}} will remove the
links to German and French). It remains possible to add new
interlanguage links just like it is now and the new links will be
sorted together with the external interlanguage links.
* start of second scrum cycle:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata/Development/Current_scrum_cycle

You can follow commits at
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/gitweb?p=mediawiki/extensions/WikidataClient.git;a=shortlog;h=HEAD
and https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/gitweb?p=mediawiki/extensions/WikidataRepo.git;a=shortlog;h=HEAD
(stuff not merged into master yet isn't included there)

= Diskussions/Press =
* Kurier: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Diskussion:Kurier#Wikidata
(This will probably be archived soon. I will summarize and address the
comments there in a blog post in the next days.)
* The Atlantic:
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/04/the-problem-with-wikidata/255564/
(please also read Denny's important comment there)
* Signpost: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2012-04-09/Wikidata

= Events =
* held first office hours on IRC (logs at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata/Events#IRC_office_hours)
* attended/presented at the Berlin Semantic Web meetup:
http://www.meetup.com/The-Berlin-Semantic-Web-Meetup-Group/events/56299712/
* upcoming: WWW2012: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata/Events

= other stuff =
* published team intro:
http://blog.wikimedia.de/2012/04/04/meet-the-wikidata-team/
* published some basic assumptions and requirements:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata/Notes/Requirements
* search for an initial logo:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikidata#WikiData_logo_candidate
and http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikidata_logo_proposals
(still have to get to promoting this and making this less painful)
* volunteer page started: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata/Volunteers
* collecting use-cases:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata/Queries and
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata/Infoboxes

If you have anything to add please share it.

Cheers
Lydia

PS: In case you have not seen it yet I'm posting daily updates on
twitter and identi.ca (@wikidata).

Community Communications for Wikidata

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Obentrautstr. 72