On 3 July 2012 19:19, Tom Morris <tfmor...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> A few notes on the BBC's use of DBpedia which Dan thought might be of
>> interest to this list:
>
> It's great to see real world use cases to inform the development
> priorities of Wikidata.

Amen to that.

>> === some problems we've found when using dbpedia ===

>> 1. it's not really intended for use for data extraction. The semantics of
>> extraction depend on the infobox data and this isn't always applied
>> correctly. So http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_News_Channel and
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_News_Channel_controversies share the same
>> main infobox meaning dbpedia sees them both as tv channels
>
> This is partly (mostly) a social problem which Wikidata will need to
> solve at the community level, rather than through technical means.

Indeed; and if we can better explain these issues to the community we
might be better successful in persuading the blockers that such
matters are important.

Of course, there will always be some Luddites who see Wikipedia as a
prose encyclopedia rather than the database of encyclopedic content
which it really is ;-)

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing