2012/8/14 Nikola Smolenski <smole...@eunet.rs>:
> I believe it should be possible to alleviate this problem to an extent by
> introducing automatic transcription between languages and specifying what
> language the mayor's "default" name is in. If automatic transcription gets
> it wrong, it could still be overriden when someone enters the name in
> another language.

It is guaranteed to be profoundly broken. The above-mentioned Hebrew
names will be transliterated as <'mrm mcn'> (the apostrophes are part
of the transliteration!) and <ywnh yhb>. The same problem applies to
Arabic, Punjabi and many other languages. Without manual maintenance
it will perpetuate horrendously wrong transliteration.

Some very limited auto-transliteration is OK, but just as a
suggestion. I was actually going to write an email about that. But it
must not be automatic all the way and propagate to all wikis.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬