On 27.11.2012 17:10, Denny Vrandečić wrote:
> Today a question appeared: what to do if an edit is request that actually does
> not change the content (e.g. setting the sitelink of an item to X when it is
> already X in the language).
>
> Currently, the API reports an error because the save failed (there is nothing
> save, obviously). If you try the same on MediaWiki core, it behaves as if
> everything went well, but doesn't do a save (i.e. the save does not happen,
> but
> the state is the same and thus the software just lets you proceed as if you
> have
> made the edit).

It should do nothing, report success, but include a warning that nothing was
done. lastrevid should contain the latest revision ID.

I'm not sure why the API would report an error in such a case. It shouldn't
really, and I thought I looked at the test case for this recently. EditEntity at
least supports it, as far as I know.

-- daniel

--
Daniel Kinzler, Softwarearchitekt