How about this:

- Values default to a non-range value
- You can click a checkbox that says "range" to turn the input into a range
value instead
- An entry can only be represented by either a non-range or a range number,
not both

This relieves our issue with query answering:

Query: When was XXX invented?

Non-range answer: June 1988

Range answer: sometime between May 1988 and October 1989

Does that work?

Sven M