On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 11:23 AM, Daniel Kinzler <
daniel.kinz...@wikimedia.de> wrote:

> On 19.12.2012 08:34, Nikola Smolenski wrote:
> > While at it, why not separate longitude and latitude? There are items
> that only
> > have one, f.e. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_meridian#
>
> I'd argue that the prime meridian does not have a location. And I think it
> would
> be bad to make longitude or latitude optional in a geo-coordinate data
> type.

What about the North and South Poles?

> > What I wanted to say. Additionally, in some cases historical units are
> not
> > accurate or accurately known, so possibly we won't even be able to make
> the
> > conversion.
>
> I don't think we can sensibly support historical units with unknown
> conversions,
> because they cannot be compared directly to SI units. So, they couldn't be
> used
> to answer queries, can't be converted for display, etc - they arn't units
> in any
> sense the software can understand. This is a solvable problem, but would
> add a
> tremendous amount of complexity.

Won't we need lots of units that are not SI units (e.g. base pairs, IQ
points, Scoville heat units, $ and €) and can't readily be translated into
them? Why would historical units with unknown conversions pose any more
problem than these?

Avenue