On 19 December 2012 17:03, Daniel Kinzler <daniel.kinz...@wikimedia.de> wrote:
> Indeed we do: https://wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Glossary
>
> I use "precision" exactly like that: significant digits when rendering output
> or
> parsing intput. It can be used to *guess* at the values accuracy, but is not
> the
> same.

(I cannot see that definition there, the word "precision" does not
exist on that page.)

There is an issue here that we can speak of a the precision of a
number in this sense (number of significant digits).

However, since the concept of the precision of a data value or a
measurement is both narrower  (it distinguishes precision and accuracy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy_and_precision ) and wider
(significant digits/figures are only one way to express precision or
accuracy) I suggest to follow the definitions on the english wikipedia
and use "significant digits" for what you call precision.

Gregor

PS (I am still unsure how you define in "Wikidata speak" the term
"accuracy"; Daniel gave an def. but I could not follow it yet).