On 31.12.2012 22:19, Jeroen De Dauw wrote:
> Hey,
>
>     Now as I can see the idea would be to have an item for each player and
>     then a property "ranking" containing the value. But that would mean we
>     have to split up data given in a list and spread it over thousands of
>     items (update all of them) in order to use a query to re-collect them
>     into a list and deliver it to the infobox as before.
>
> In case of player rankings, this does not seem that horrible to me. Having the
> info set as regular claims for regular items makes the info available for the
> items themselves and allows doing any other type of query the system supports
> against it, as opposed to only having the info available in the specific
> aggregation you have in mind. Alternatively you could have an item for "season
> foo in sport bar" where you have multiple "player baz has score bah". Not sure
> how we're actually supporting the later though, but it should be possible
> IIRC.

That's an instance of the standard "actor X played role Y in movie Z": "player X
achieved score Y in season Y". We support this using qualifiers.

If there's an item about the season and a property called "played-in-season" or
something, then there would be one claim for each player for that property, and
each claim would have a qualifier that contains the score.

I would, however, prefer to have it the other way around: give each player a
property "achieved-score" or something, and add qualifiers that specifies the
season and league. The season's overview can then be created from a query.

This means that each player's item would have to be updated from an external
source, but I don't see how this would fundamentally harder than updating a
single data item (the season) from the external source. Sure, it will take a bit
longer, but it also provides more flexibility, I think.

And perhaps most importantly, it allows users to see the performance of a player
in one glance. If the player's scores were only encoded in the season items, it
would be a bit tricky to generate a player's performance history from that, and
it would require one query for each player.

-- daniel

--
Daniel Kinzler, Softwarearchitekt