Whereas I would agree in the case of a calendar, in case of Wikidata I
would think there are many historical dates.

If someone enters "12", I would assume "the year 12 AD" and not "December
2013" or "January 12th, 2013".

Also, since we show the interpretation immediately and the editor has
direct feedback, it should be easy for them to add the year if that's what
they meant.