It is a feature. The reason for that is that in the Wikipedias when you
access the data you can't use the property names otherwise - they have to
be unique. So in order to be able to write {{#property:capital}}, the
capital property needs to be unique (and a {{#property:p25}} we considered
to be unacceptable usability-wise).

That is why we decided that property labels need to be unique (per
language). If there are better ways to solve that problem, we are all ears.

Cheers,
Denny

Project director Wikidata
Tel. +49-30-219 158 26-0 | http://wikimedia.de