Hi Benjamin,

there is a similar task. I am not sure this fits here. Hungarian Wikipedia
lists the redlist status of species of plants and animals (threatened, not
threatened etc.). There is a request to update this by bot from
http://www.iucnredlist.org/. Also biological property, also listed in
templates and also originates from an external database. I told them to
wait for Wikidata phase 2, which is now alive, but what next? Do you think
these tasks are related?

2013/3/1 Benjamin Good <ben.mcgee.g...@gmail.com>

> I am considering the task of converting the templates from the gene
> articles in Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Gene_Wiki) to
> use/create wikidata assertions.  This involves an extensive update of the
> template structure as well as the code for the bot that keeps them in sync
> with external public databases.  (https://bitbucket.org/sulab/pygenewiki)
>
> More specifically I'm thinking about working with a Google Summer of Code
> student on this project.
>
> Given a time frame of now through August, would it make sense for us to
> pursue this objective directly in the context of wikidata (through the
> public API).  Or would it be better for us to install our own version of
> the wikibase software (kept in sync with code updates) and develop the new
> gene wiki bot code locally with the aim of switching to the public API
> later?  Or is it too early to consider this project?
>
> I want to get involved and support wikidata with this important data, but
> I'm hesitant to ramp up development (especially with a student) in a moving
> target situation.
>
> Any thoughts?
> thanks!
> -Ben