I think it is not about a file being or not the best to reprensent
something, it is about "can commons gain something by being in wikidata".
And I think it is the case : wikidata will give very powerful tools, with
properties to classify and describe files, and queries to find which files
matches some criteria which could help users to find what they want.

Of course the amount of work to describe precisely each file is gigantic,
so this system will not be available at his full potential, but we can be
sure that we can build something stricty better that the current category
system with a very limited cost since wikidata is already there and is
planned to interract with commons. And the availability of wikidata items
will for example a very fine graine matching of some schéma with their
topic, so we can for example find every illustration used for a
mathematical topic, whatever it is about a very specific theorem, work can
be tedious to do with the current system as the classification is higher
grained.