On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 12:58 PM, Edward Summers <e...@pobox.com> wrote:

> That’s a good question. By active I meant a situation where OpenLibrary
> has the resources (and the interest) to write software to synchronize
> OpenLibrary with Wikidata. I was suggesting that Wikidata doesn’t need to
> take on the additional burden of writing Wikidata updates back to
> OpenLibrary.

The main issue with OL is that its situation as entity is not clear. It is
both part of IA and somewhat independent, but not integrated enough in IA
nor independent enough to know in which direction is going.

> The reason why I said the OpenLibrary dump loader should be able to run
> more than once was the assumption that OpenLibrary is being updated
> periodically by editors. Their latest dump was generated a week or so ago,
> which makes OpenLibrary look promising as an ongoing data source.

In an ideal world OL could run an instance of a Wikibase repo and use
Wikidata entities whenever relevant (authors, locations, etc). I don't know
if it would be possible for their wikii software to evolve in that
direction, nor if there would be enough resources to do so, but if Commons
is going to do just that, maybe it is possible for OL too?

Using an OL dump loader seems the easiest for the time being.

Cheers,
Micru