On 12 August 2014 22:49, Andre Engels <andreeng...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 6:26 PM, Sezgin Sucu <sezs...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q147630
>> I realized that, it is labeled as "Zara, Turkey" and not Zara.
>> This seem wrong to me, since "Turkey" part of this label is already in the
>> data as a country relation.
>> It appears to be a one-to-one mapping of the wikipedia article's title.
>> Maybe when first imported from wikipedia, its title is used as is.
>> I want to verify my understanding that labels of entities should be as short
>> as possible and should not attempt to disambiguate as it has to be done in
>> wikipedia article titles.
>
> Again, you seem to be fighting a rule that does not exist. That the
> title is "Zara, Turkey" is indeed because it is copied from the
> Wikipedia article by that name, but Wikidata welcomes human as well as
> automated edits, and I do agree that just "Zara", with Turkey
> mentioned in the description, not the title, would be better.

Agree. I believe a lot of the importing did try and remove
disambiguation - however, they restricted themselves to cases like:

WP: Zara (Turkey) > WD label: Zara

In this case, it's obvious that everything after the comma is a
disambiguation note, but there are many articles where the commas form
part of the name and so you can't trim automatically - a good example
is "Ross, Skye and Lochaber (UK Parliament constituency)", which
should definitely be "Ross, Skye and Lochaber" not "Ross" :-)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.g...@dunelm.org.uk