One important thing to remember is that there's no "master database"
of ISBNs. The central agency assigns very large blocks (eg 978-0-...),
then national agencies assign smaller blocks to publishers
(978-0-12-...), who then choose to assign them to books as and when
they see fit.

The final assigners (publishers) keep records, which they usually make
available to the book trade - this is the material that winds up in
bookseller databases, and which you can see through Amazon. This may
or many not have database-right issues, and comes originally from
hundreds or thousands of individual publishers. Someone probably sells
it in some way but I'm not particularly clear on this side of things.

Independently, after publication, libraries acquire copies of the
books and create their own records (sometimes they copy each other's
records, but usually from another library not from the book trade).
These library databases have their own database-right issues - some
make them available without restrictions, some claim copyright, some
hand them over to third-party services who may themselves claim
copyright, etc etc.

Again, there's a lot of library databases - there are attempts to
produce a single aggregated database like WorldCat, but once you do
that you definitely start getting into access rights issues. The only
systematic attempt to make an unencumbered database is Open Library -
but that is no doubt incomplete.
https://openlibrary.org/help/faq/using#ownership

Andrew.

- Andrew Gray