On 2015-05-06 21:34, Lydia Pintscher wrote:
Hey folks :)

When using data from Wikidata on Wikipedia and other sister projects
there is currently a limitation in place which hinders some use cases.
Data can only be accessed from the corresponding item. So for example
the article about Berlin can only get data from the item about Berlin
but not from the item about Germany. This had technical reasons. On
Monday we will remove this limitation on the first wikis. This will be
Dutch Wikipedia and French Wikisource. (More will follow over the next
weeks. We hope to have it rolled out nearly everywhere by the end of
June.) We invite you to play around with this new feature if you are
one of the people who have been waiting for this for a long time. If
you have technical issues/questions with this you can come to
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Contact_the_development_team

A note of caution: Please be careful with how many items you use for a
single page. If it is too many page loading might get slow. We will
have to see how the feature behaves in production to see where we need
to tweak and how.

How to use it once it is enabled:
* Parser function: {{#property:capital|from=Q183}} to get the capital
from the item about Germany
* Lua: see https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Wikibase_Client/Lua

Cheers
Lydia, who is very happy this is finally getting out

Great, on Wikivoyage we were waiting for this feature for ages.

Cheers
Yaroslav