Hello all,

This change is relevant for everyone using the *wbeditentity* endpoint of
Wikidata’s API.

While working on editing the termbox from mobile, we discovered a bug in
our code of the wbeditentity endpoint, that does not conform with the
implicit interpretation of the documentation
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/diffusion/EWBA/browse/master/docs/change-op-serializations.wiki$46>.

A request including {"aliases":{"en":[]}} should, according to the implicit
interpretation of its documentation, replace all aliases in English by an
empty string, meaning removing all aliases. However, at the moment this
action is not actually performed, meaning that this request would leave the
aliases untouched.

We want to fix this bug, because we need this request to work in order to
be able to remove all aliases also in the new termbox on mobile. We are
treating this bug fix as a breaking change because the documentation was
ambiguous, and there may be some tools currently sending requests with
empty alias arrays when nothing need to be touched, intentionally or not.

If you are maintaining a tool, please *inspect your tool usage of
wbeditentity endpoint*, and make sure that no calls with empty alias arrays
are sent unless the intention is to remove these aliases.

According to our breaking change policy, this bug fix will be first
deployed on beta.wikidata.org later on May 28th, then on wikidata.org on *June
12th*.

If you have any question or issue, feel free to discuss in the related
ticket <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T203337>.

Cheers,
--
Léa Lacroix
Project Manager Community Communication for Wikidata

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24
10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de

der Nummer 23855 Nz. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für