Thanks!   That explains why opening five tabs at once may be a problem :-)

But even when a tab has focus, things still seem to be very slow -- I have just waited over a minute and a half for five labels to resolved, with the browser spinner going round and the mouse-over message "waiting for wikidata.org..." at the bottom.

  -- James.