[Maybe let's move this to wikidata-tech -- including the Wikidata discussion list here for the last time; please remove it in your reply]

Dear Satya,

Both issues you encountered seem to be caused by how you run the examples. It seems that the project is not configured/compiled properly yet. To help you, I need to know how you downloaded and ran WDTK. There two main options:

(1) Develop stand-alone code that works with the released libraries, as provided by Maven Central. This method is described here:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikidata_Toolkit#Beginner.27s_guide

(2) Extend the Wikidata Toolkit project by adding own examples etc. In this case, you would download (clone/branch) the code and build all of Wikidata Toolkit locally. Our developers' guide describes how to set up our project in Eclipse:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikidata_Toolkit/Eclipse_setup

Tests are only included in the source code, so I suppose you have followed (2)? Or did you just download the code and compile it with Maven locally (no Eclipse)?

Best regards,

Markus