Hi!

> Current legislations do not support the licensing of individual facts,
> only of databases as a whole, and only in some countries. What you are

Added to that, even if it *were* possible to copyright facts, I think
using restrictive license (and make no mistake, any license that
requires people to do specific things in exchange for data access *is*
restrictive) makes a lot of trouble for any people using the data. This
is especially true for data that is meant for automatic processing - you
will have to add code to track licenses for each data unit, figure out
how exactly to comply with the license (which would probably require
professional help, always expensive), track license-contaminated data
throughout the mixed databases, verify all outputs to ensure only
properly-licensed data goes out... It presents so much trouble many
people would just not bother with it. It would hinder exactly the thing
opens source excels at - creating community of people building on each
other's work by means of incremental contribution and wide participation.
Want to create cool a visualization based on Wikidata? Talk to a lawyer
first. Want kickstart your research exploration using Wikidata facts? To
the lawyer you go. Want to write an article on, say, gender balance in
science over the ages and places, and feature Wikidata facts as an
example? Where's that lawyer's email again?
You get the picture, I hope. How many people would decide "well, it
would be cool but I have no time and resource to figure out all the
license issues" and not do the next cool thing they could do? Is it
something we really want to happen?

And all that trouble to no benefit to anyone - there's absolutely no
threat of Wikidata database being taken over and somehow subverted by
"enterprises", whatever that nebulous term means. In fact, if Google
example shows us anything, it's that "enterprises" are not very good at
it and don't really want it. Would they benefit from the free and open
data? Of course they would, as would everybody. The world - including
everybody, including "enterprises" - benefited enormously from free and
open participatory culture, be it open source software or free data. It
is a *good thing*, not something to be afraid of!

Wikidata data is meant for free use and reuse. Let's not erect
artificial barriers to it out of misguided fear to somehow benefit
somebody "wrong".
--
Stas Malyshev
smalys...@wikimedia.org