I'd agree with both interpretations - the majority of people in Wikidata
are implicitly famous, and so a property saying so wouldn't make sense, but
there are (as Finn notes) a lot of nom-famous people created for structural
reasons.

Using the existence of Wikipedia articles as a threshold, as suggested,
seems a pretty good test - it's flawed, of course, but it's easy to check
for and works as a first approximation of "probably is actually famous".

Andrew.