Hi!

> Could someone tell me what this means?
> http://wikiba.se/ontology-1.0.owl#directClaim describes it as a "Link
> between Wikibase Property and direct claim predicate" and the definition
> in https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikibase/Indexing/RDF_Dump_Format is
> similar.
>
> What makes a predicate a direct claim predicate?

Short addition to the great explanations by Daniel - the direct claim(s)
have two properties:

1. They always have the simple values (i.e. either URL or literal or
bnode), even though full values may contain more information. This means
direct claims sometimes are missing secondary information, such as
precision, globe, units, etc., but they are simpler to work with and
enough for many simpler queries.

2. They include "best ranked" statements - i.e., if the property has
preferred rank statements, then only preferred ones will be in direct
claims. Otherwise, regular rank ones will be. Deprecated rank claims are
never in direct claims.
The preferred rank usually is used to describe "current" state of
affairs - e.g. current manager of a company, major of a city, population
of a country, spouse, etc. - or closest to it.

If you need to see which of the full statements have the same data as
direct claims, look for statements with type wikibase:BestRank. This way
you can have the same data but with qualifiers, references and full values.

--
Stas Malyshev
smalys...@wikimedia.org