Tobias' comment made me realize that I did not clarify wone very important
distinction: there are two kinds of places where a "language" is needed in the
Lexeme data model
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:WikibaseLexeme/Data_Model>:

1) the "lexeme language". This can be any Item, language code or no. This is
what Tobias would have to use in his query.

2) the language codes used in the MultilingualTextValues (lemma, representation,
and gloss). This is where my "hybrid" approach comes in: use a standard language
code augmented by an item ID to identify the variant.

To make it easy to create new Lexemes, the lexeme language can serve as a
default for lemma, representation, and gloss - but only if it has a language
code. If it does not have one, the user will have to specify one for use in
MultilingualTextValues.

--
Daniel Kinzler
Principal Platform Engineer

Wikimedia Deutschland
Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.